Thursday, July 12, 2007

Gracie's Story

My baby will be one year old on Tuesday. I can hardly believe. It seems like it was just yesterday that I saw her little three month old face for the first time! I stared at that little face. I memorized it. Even though she has changed so much I can still see that little baby when I look at my big girl.

I wonder what her birth mother is thinking about right now? I know that her thoughts must be about her baby and the upcoming birthday. She must be wondering so many things. Where is she? How is she? Is she happy and comfortable and loved? I wish that I could tell her what a beautiful gift she has given me. I wish I could let her know that Grace is healthy and happy and loved by many. I wish I could thank her and give her a hug.

Most of the time in adoption you never really know the baby's history and what you find out is sometimes highly suspect. I wonder about the details of the report of Grace's abandonment. After visiting the orphanage I try to picture things. Did it happen that way? I don't know the answere to that but I do know that it is the history that we have to hold on to. Therefore it is the history I will tell Grace someday.

The report said that at about 4:00 p.m. the people inside the orphanage heard a big noise coming from outside. When they went to investigate they found a baby girl who was just a few days old. She was in a blue plastic basket with blue and white towels.

I imagine a girl bringing her baby to the orphanage and then making noise so they would come out and find her. Was she hiding, watching to make sure the baby was taken inside? It makes me think of the story of Moses - birth mother who loves her child and wants the best for the baby. This is the story I will tell Grace.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, 1 year old already! I remember reading with excitement when you went to get her.

I know what you mean about the history we are given...is it accurate? Is it real at all? Does it matter...it's the truth as we know it. I still can't read Parker's information out loud without crying. I feel such sorrow for him at that time, and for his mother who must have been hurting greatly.

Congrats to Grace on 1 year of life, many more wonderful years to come! Can't wait to see some birthday pictures.

LaLa said...

Happy early birthday..oh wait..I get to see you on Sunday!!!! YAY ME!!!

I remember reading Annslee's info and wondering all the same things...all I know is their birthmothers had other choices and made the one that could get them to us!

Susan said...

Happy birthday a little early, Sweet Gracie! I hope you realize what a wonderful mama you have, because I know for a fact that she realizes what a precious daughter she has.

Sherri, I understand your feelings very, very well. I'll also be telling the Moses story to Petunia one day. What special gifts we've received!

Mia's Mommy said...

I too completely understand. I look at Mia's face and wonder who she looks like, her mom, dad, grandparents. I've done the same thing thinking about different scenarios of her birthmother leaving her. Did she cry all the way there, did she second guess herself, in her heart did she want to turn around and demand her baby back, was she relieved by the thought of a possible better life for her daughter, was it all in secret, and so on and so on.

Little Grace has THE perfect mommy in you! She was meant to be yours and I hope that somewhere in VN is a lady that can feel in her heart how wonderful her baby girl is being loved and cared for.

I love that there was a big bang! I thought the same thing as soon as I read it that she was trying to get attention so her little one wouldn't go unoticed, even for a few minutes.

Happy early birthday big girl!

Sarah & Seth said...

I feel the same way about Sienna's abandonment. She was left at approx 6 days old in the hallways of a medical center. She was found at 10 pm in a 'nappy' in a white shirt and a hat with a flower on it. She had a full bottle sitting next to her. That comforts me to know that her birthmother provided for her while giving her a new life.