Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Splotchy Grace


When Grace had her one year checkup they gave her the MMR vaccine. Dr. Amy advised me that in 10 or so days she might develop a rash and a fever of about 101 as a side effect. I am so thankful she told me! This past Friday I came home and Grace had a fever of about 101, the rash came on Saturday. She was never uncomfortable or fussy. But she looked so pitiful, I couldn't believe that she was just business as usual.

Thankfully the fever and rash were gone after 3 days. Some bumps and a temp are a small price to pay to avoid having a really sick baby. How awful would it be if she were truly ill with the full blown sickness.

4 comments:

Kelly said...

Wow! We got that shot a 1/2 month ago and no one warned me. Thankfully, Lucy had no reacation, but I would have freaked out without any warning. Glad Grace is splotch free again.

Mia's Mommy said...

Oh my gosh! How scarry. I hate that she was uncomfortable, but you are right, that rash is so much better than measels, mumps, or ruebella (sp?)!

Susan said...

Poor Gracie Girl. I'm glad she didn't seem to feel bad. The rash still was a little scary for Mom, though, I bet.

Sara said...

Hi Sherri,
I'm a friend of Kelly's (and also a mom to a Lucy like her!) and look at your blog once in a while. Grace could have had something called roseola, which is a very common childhood illness. My Lucy had it -- it is a high fever for a day or two, and then an all-over rash develops almost as soon as the fever breaks (Google it!). It is nothing to worry about and the good news is that once they get it, they are immune for life. It may of course have been the MMR vaccine, but it could also have coincidentally have been roseola. Just thought I'd share my experience!
Best,
Sara