Sunday, May 03, 2009

Happy Birthday to Me!!!

Today I turned 39 for the third time. Today I am feeling all 39 + 2 years. Grace has given me a series of near heart attacks this weekend. Her climbing has been out of control!

There are multiple contributing factors to this behavior. She has been sick for a week. First an ear infection that was treated by a HUGE shot of Rocephin. It literally took two nurses and me to hold her still on the table for the shot. Then she developed a snotty nose. I taught all week and when she feels bad she tends to whine for me, even when she is with Nanny. Thankfully her last molar came through a week earlier. That would have been too much. For the record- the perpetual drooler finally quite drooling when the last tooth broke through!

Another problem has been the continual rain! I feel like I need to get my ark ready. She hasn't been able to play outside and climb on the gym set in a very long time.

OK that's it for the excuses, back to recent events. Yesterday morning I am fixing Grace breakfast. She was busy looking at books in her room. I had been in the kitchen for just a few minutes and I hear my dad at the front door. I go to the door and he asks me if I know where Grace is and I said I thought she was in her room. He moves aside and there is Grace on the porch in her panties and t-shirt. I live behind my parents and Mother just happened to be looking out the window and saw Grace and Ellie leave the house. Daddy then ran to the rescue. Grace had climbed on a chair and opened up the one door I didn't think she could open.

The climbing has been horrific. She has spent so much time in time out. I have spanked her (controversial I know, however at our house dangerous activity constitutes a spanking), nothing has deterred her from her activities. I have found her climbing her kitchen and climbing on top of the dresser. But I did not witness the worst transgression. There are two lanterns I bought in Hoi An hanging above her chest of drawers (see the picture for height). I found one of the lanterns in the floor. When I looked I could see where she climbed on top of the kitchen and crossed to the chest displacing the objects on top of it. I wanted to throw up when I saw this.

Maybe I should replace the hardwood with a bouncy floor like they have at gymnastics! I am praying for good weather so we can get outside this week!

She loves to take the sink out of the kitchen and climb in.



Is that check high or what? Just thinking about it makes me feel sick.



Pappy had a birthday recently and here are Grace and Pappy opening presents. She had a problem pottying with her dress, so she is wearing her nightgown.

5 comments:

Nicki said...

Happy Birthday, my friend!

And whoa, your crazy girl has WAY surpassed my crazy girl in the climbing department. That is some seriously scary climbing. Seriously. It won't be long until she's really ready to understand consequences and cause and effect. I can only imagine just how smart and far her kind of ambition and adventurous nature will take her in life. Meanwhile I seriously feel for you.

Kelli said...

Happy birthday! Gracie is quite the climber isn't she? That would seriously put me over the edge.

Susan said...

I can't believe I forgot your birthday! Well, yes I can, but I just talked to you the day before. I'm a lousy friend... I know. So sorry, but I hope it was a good day.

I don't know what to make of your climber. I really don't. I just hope that no serious injuries come about before she's ready to understand that she isn't Spiderman. Hang in there, Mom!

Mab said...

Happy Birthday Sherri...a little late. :)

Wow....what a climber she is! Oh my! She's fearless huh? My two were neither one climbers....guess I lucked up on that.

arlene

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday (a bit too late). :-)