Sunday, September 03, 2006

There is Nothing Like Family

Yesterday we had a mini family reunion. My dad's only sibling died and couple of years ago and since then we haven't really gotten together with my cousins and their families. Yesterday we began a tradition. We have made the decision to get together every Labor Day. I am glad. We all share grandparents. We all have the same memories of Daddy J and Gracie.

To answer your question (you did have a question didn't you?) yes I am naming my daughter after my grandmother. She and I were extremely close. I miss her terribly, even though she died more than 9 years ago. She spoiled me shamefully and ALWAYS took my side. I am so thankful for all the great memories I have of my grandmother Gracie and I am thankful that I will have that to share with my daughter Grace.

I can already tell that my father will be like that with baby Grace. That will be very special for her. Maybe not great for me in the discipline area, but always a special relationship for them.

To depict the fabulousness of family, I leave you with a picture of cousins Kaitlyn (left) and McKenna.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sherrie, for the first time, I am looking at a blog -- yours and reading all the past entries. I am so excited for you and am probably the only one in the family who truly understands how excited you are. Although I only had to go from Whitehaven to downtown Memphis, I can still remember how exciting it was these 44 years ago. I know we probably don't love our children more than "real" parents but I contend that we appreciate them even more. Can't wait to see Grace. Love, Melba