Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Calling All Moms - HELP

Grace is a climber, I have written that before. Things are now out of hand. It has become hard for me to get anything done without fear she will fall and break her neck! In the past I have been able to put her in her room with the gate up and have no fear. Now I will walk in her room and she will be climbing up on the chest of drawers. She will stack toys, table, glider...whatever she can come up with. She a smart girl.

I can't take her into the laundry room with me when I am washing clothes. She is two and will be pulling something onto her head, unplugging the freezer, etc. So what can I do? If I am loading the dishwasher she will be climbing on the door or grabbing a knife. If I leave her in the living room watching Sesame Street while I am doing it she will climb onto the big chair and straddle the back like a horse. If she fell that would be an awful fall. She has climbed onto the dining room table and the buffet. You name it.

She is strong and can relocate things where she wants. Help!! I have baby proofed, etc. to try and make things safe. But I have to go to the bathroom quick or she will push a dining room chair over to the bookcase and be attempting to climb onto a shelf.

No exaggerations here. I could give you a million examples. Advice please.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're preaching to the choir sister!! Hahaha! I can only imagine the damage our two two's could do together!! I've resigned to letting him climb some stuff and ge's taken a few spills that have taught him the stuff that's not worth climbing!

Kelly said...

I can't believe she is such a little climber. I thought Lucy was a climber, but she is not near as resourceful as Miss Grace. Sorry, I have no advice. That must be exhausting to watch her ALL of the time.

margaret said...

Darn it. I was hoping one of these comments would be some magic advice. My almost two year old also relocates furniture/boxes/objects of any kind to climb up to whatever he 'needs'. Sigh. The sheer number of near misses is starting to push the odds!

Anonymous said...

Ok- here are some good and different tips I found on a website. Who knows they might just work!! :) She is beautiful btw!!!

http://blogs.trb.com/features/family/parenting/blog/2007/09/please_help_me_stop_my_furnitu.html

MandyJo013078 said...

Have you tried telling her 'no' and then explaining why? She's a smart girl she might understand more than you give her credit for & time out does work have you checked out Supernanny or Nanny 911 - I was a nanny for twin boys who were climbers but we put a stop to it by talking to them and working with them - not that we didn't have a few bumps and bruises here and there - but we worked through it.
MJ

Susan said...

Yikes! We don't have THAT big of a climbing problem. I agree with mandyjo, though. We've been doing the Supernanny "naughty corner" and explanation thing lately because Petunia's been mean and defiant. She totally doesn't like it, and I think it's really helping. At the very least, I feel more in control and I don't overreact to something she's doing. I don't know if it will make a difference with Gracie, but I'd sure try it, if I were you.

Anonymous said...

What we did was to provide LOTS of appropriate places to climb. Get a plastic little tykes climber and put it INSIDE (check craigslist -they are so expensive even used! But resale value is high). Every time she is climbing inappropriately, redirect her. You can only control so much but giving her an appropriate and somewhat challenging thing to climb will probably help a lot.

Otherwise I sympathize. Addy moves the chairs ALL over the house. She will ask for what she wants but if we hesitate AT ALL she will try to get it herself - a glass of milk, a knife to cut herself a brownie, you name it. This doesn't scare me NEARLY as much as the climbing on furniture. I would freak out and probably scare the crap out of her from my reaction if I saw her climbing her dresser! I'm SO afraid those things will fall and kill her! But luckily the few times I've seen her even contemplate it, my freak out response has been enough to dissuade her.