Saturday, June 21, 2008

You give me fever...

at least that how Grace is feeling. Another ear infection in her left ear. This is the third in about six months. Temp started on Wed, but her infection doesn't usually present itself for a couple of days so we managed the temps of 102 for a couple of days. No biggie for her.

We went to the dr yesterday. Her pediatrician was on vacation so we saw a partner. Her temp had been fluctuating up to 104 but was still manageable. Of course it was down to 99 at the dr's office. Left ear was fire red so we got a shot of Rocephin and 10 days of antibiotics. My mother drove us and on the way home (takes about 40 minutes from my house to dr)she got the chills and was shaking terribly. My mom stopped and ran in a store to get a blanket. I was unprepared I know. I had given her motrin about five minutes earlier and her temp was 103.5. I took her temp again to see how things were working.

Prepare yourself. In the span of a few minutes her temp had gone from 103.5 to 106.5. I almost freaked, however she was alert and responsive so that was good. I had my mom continue home. There was a hospital on the way. I continued taking her temp and it was going down. The motrin had kicked in. By the time we got near the hospital it was down to 103. We opted not to stop. Her temp was going down and my friend Karen is a dr. Karen's house was only about 15 minutes away. I knew she was home taking care of her sick son. Thankfully her temp continued to go down and was about 102.5 when we got home. That's nothing for Grace.

By ten last night fever was gone and so was the constant stream of snot. The rocephin had kicked in and I was thankful. Last time she got rocephin it didn't kick in until the next day. Today we started the ten day antibiotics. She has no fever and is feeling much better. We are dealing with intermittent bursts of whining but she deserves that. We are watching Baby Einstein non stop. She doesn't like cartoons just stuff with real people and animals. She likes Einsteins (as she lovingly refers to them), Sesame Street and the Wiggles (the freak me out but she likes them). So today when one dvd ends she'll bring me the dvd remote and say "einsteins".

I am so thankful that she is better. I am thankful that I was a kid who ran high temps like that, so I know how to get them down and when to get help. I am thankful that I live next door to my parents who have dealt with crazy high temps.

She will have a recheck on July 2. That will also be her two yr checkup. TWO YEARS. Her second birthday is on July 17. And that is a whole other story...
'

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor Gracie! I'm glad to hear she's feeling better, though...I can not believe you actually witnessed a temperature of 106. How scary!!

And, I have to tell you, I'm now freaking out over the fact that Grace will be 2 in a month...It's just not possible, right?!?!?

Mab said...

Wow Sherri, I am so glad Gracie is doing better and that the fever went down....how scary!!!
Poor sweetie---and poor you too!!!
(by the way, The Wiggles sorta freaked me out too when mine were that age....but kids LOVE them so much---and they are quite entertaining for them). Isn't it such a blessing to have your family so close...it is times like this that really make you realize that.
Can't believe Gracie is going to be 2 very soon! Time just flies by. I love keeping up with Miss Gracie thru your blog! (and thru Susan and Petnunia of course---we hope to be seeing them in July!)
Arlene

Stepping on Legos said...

There is just no amount of preparedness that makes it easy to see the number 106 on a thermometer! Eeek! So glad it went down fast - Motrin is awesome!!

Kelli said...

Oh my gosh, that must have been scary! I am glad to hear Gracie is doing better. I can't believe she will soon be 2. Time flies!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad she's doing better! 106 is crazy!

Mia's Mommy said...

I've been so bad keeping up with blogs lately. I just went back and read all your posts from mid-May to this current one.

I hate that she gets high temps! Seriously! Are you looking at getting tubes in her ears? Two of mine had them and it worked wonders!

Anonymous said...

Hope she's feeling all better now! That is definitely a scary number to see.

Jo said...

Scary.... I am glad to hear she is feeling better.